Home Menu

Site Navigation

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2007, 07:26 PM #1

MillerPKA is a jewel in the rough MillerPKA is a jewel in the rough MillerPKA is a jewel in the rough

MillerPKA is a jewel in the rough MillerPKA is a jewel in the rough MillerPKA is a jewel in the rough
Now THAT'S 4runner tough!

Woo hoo! Got in an accident today. This girl cut me off on campus, tried to avoid her and swerved into the car behind her at about 30. Long story short, not my fault and the stupid bia is gonna pay i hope. Gotta wait 72 hours for the accident report then file with their insurance provider. pics are below but here's what happened to mine...first, the plastic bottom half of the bumper was crushed and the bumper as a whole was bent up straight to the body on the left side whereas the right side was still about 1/4 in below body. any suggestions? never been in a wreck before. and honestly, if they have to pay for a new bumper (97 SR5 chrome....looks deceiving because of the herculiner) i would want to just get a check for the amount of a new bumper from the dealership and put it towards a tjm 15....would that be fine? sorry about the length, all this happened less than an hour ago still a little frustrated)

haha maybe it's just cause i got done with a bowl but in the second one it just looks like the end of a fight, the loser's all busted up and looking apprehensive and the mighty 4r is just snarling sayin "bring it on *****"

this is the body damage...i'll find out if anything frame/alignment wise is screwed

overall not that bad.....byah!

The Old - 2000 SR5, Supercharged, E-locker, 35s, 4.88
www.outworldhq.com/2000-toyota-4runner

Last edited by MillerPKA; 03-31-2007 at 08:59 AM.
MillerPKA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:30 PM #2

Mr. Dabadina is an unknown quantity at this point

First round knockout. My girlfriends sister had a Sunfire and rear ended a parked truck @25 mph and she had to total hers out. When I got in a car wreck with my Civic I had to get an estimate of labor and parts and sent it to them and they just cut me a check in my name for the full amt. You should be able to apply it to a TJM. Blessing in disguise?

Did your airbags deploy?
TJM-15 Silverstars
Hella 500 Tundra Brake Upgrade

Last edited by Mr. Dabadina; 03-07-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Mr. Dabadina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 PM #3

nope and after about 2 hours of driving it doesn't seem like anything's wrong. i'm going to visit the toyota dealership tomorrow to get an estimate....what do you think i'm looking at for a replacement bumper?

Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 PM #4

Fo_SheeZy is on a distinguished road

Fo_SheeZy is on a distinguished road
Damn.. reminds me of when I backed into this car going like 10mph at the most and it did over 1,000 damage to her car. Mine was only a minor dent that you couldn't tell was there..
Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 AM #5

gapboi210 is on a distinguished road

gapboi210 is on a distinguished road
Is the car paid for? It depends on your insurance. Sometimes they will cut the check firectly to you or sometimes it is to the lien holder and you. With minor damage like they will probably just cut the check out directly to you and send you loose.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:21 AM #6

broncosi is on a distinguished road

broncosi is on a distinguished road
hahaha thats great, theres bearly any damage whatsoever to yours the way it looks. My question is, what hit her windshield to make it shatter?
broncosi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:14 AM #7

who knows man all this happened so quickly. i do know that her car flew back and nailed another car so it was pretty crazy, lots of eye for people walking to class. anyways, i'm a newbie at going through the process of getting them to pay for it so i just went to the toyota collision repair and, like i thought, he said the bumper brackets were most likely twisted out of place which would require a new bumper (woohoo!) he only looked at it for about 5 minutes and walked me through the insurance procedure and came out with a ballpark figure of about 700-800. as someone asked, i payed for my 4r in cold cash so its all mine. another question, my driver side mirror was loosened and the only way its staying on it seems is its adhesion to the ventshades. secondly, my brakes have been squealing when applied ever since, are they liable for making me kill my brakes?

on a seperate note, i think i really will get the tjm 15, but i would like to know the weight comparison between my stock bumper and the tjm. i wouldn't want my 4r to sit that much lower in the front....and if it ended up weighing it down in the front should i just snag 1" coil spacers? isn't the one easier to install the top out compared to the coil over? sorry for all the questions....most likely will be doing all this myself....oh, any places besides ebay reccomended to purchase the tjm?

EDIT: looking at ARB as well, wondering if that one would fit. if not, where would i find a place to purchase a arb for my 4r? i've dabbled in this a few weeks ago but turned up nothing....sorry for all the questions...i love you guys

Last edited by MillerPKA; 03-08-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:48 AM #8

techno is a jewel in the rough techno is a jewel in the rough techno is a jewel in the rough

techno is a jewel in the rough techno is a jewel in the rough techno is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by broncosi
hahaha thats great, theres bearly any damage whatsoever to yours the way it looks. My question is, what hit her windshield to make it shatter?
The passenger side air bag.
You can see that both driver and pass airbags have deployed. The p/s dashcover gets 'popped' up and the bag sort of bounces off the windshield. You can still see the dash piece against the glass.
techno is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 PM #9

Quote:
Originally posted by RooRRunner

EDIT: looking at ARB as well, wondering if that one would fit. if not, where would i find a place to purchase a arb for my 4r? i've dabbled in this a few weeks ago but turned up nothing....sorry for all the questions...i love you guys
Yes, that bar will fit. There are two ARB bullbars that will fit the 3rd gens, the 95-04 Tacoma bar and the 00-03 Prado bar. The prado one is wider and would suit 2-3" flares.
ARB didnt design a bullbar specifically for the 3rd gens since 4runners were discontinued in Australia in 96, but the US sales team in seattle figured out that the taco and prado bars will fit since they use basically the same platform.
If you search for ARB on this forum and on Yotatech you will find heaps of pictures and details for these bars. I think the taco bar looks best, but see for yourself.
I would recomend an arb bar. I have had several in the past, very strong, good looking and functional. You pay for what you get.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:51 PM #10

i actually prefer the arb over the tjm, however tracking down arb anything is a pain in the ass. does anyone know the weight comparison of the arb tacoma bumper and my current bumper? also, what's the price range i'm looking at? most importantly...where the hell can i order one?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:14 PM #11

ARB stuff is easy to find. There are plenty of online places to order from. Check out www.arbusa.com Send them an email and they will send you a list of distributors in your state and nearby.
Look here www.toyotaoffroadparts.com, www.toyteclifts.com and also the link you posted earlier from ebay. Plenty of others too. Expect to pay $7-900. The bars are around 100-120 lb i think.

Last edited by techno; 03-08-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:19 PM #12

Her insurance company should pay for all damages occured during the wreck. Whether they do or not is another thing. Take it back to Toyota and have them estimate for bumper, brakes, labor etc. Call her insurance and plead your case.

I'm sure all will work out, but don't get too excited till the check is in your hands. Remeber, insurance companies are only nice till you need them.

B/C I was riding behind a friend of mine and he was in someones blind spot when they were changing lanes, to avoid them he swerved into oncoming traffic and hit someone. And since the person changing lanes didn't actually hit my friend, their insurance didn't cover it. Their were a lot of witnesses too.
TJM-15 Silverstars
Hella 500 Tundra Brake Upgrade
Mr. Dabadina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:51 PM #13

RunnerUp is on a distinguished road

RunnerUp is on a distinguished road
ha, makes you glad to drive a 4runner doesnt it. ive got the tacoma ARB on my 4runner, and man is this thing tough! the prado bumper looks stupid IMHO, but do what you will, i have the larger fender flares and the taco bumper is abt 1" on each side more narrow, but it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb as the prado bumper does. i got my bumper from a local shop for 750, and i also got it because i was involved in an accident that wasnt my fault, it was cheaper than the stock toyota painted bumper was, so it was a no brainer to get it!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 PM #14

Kyle, your 4runner setup is exactly what I'm working towards. Good looking, self-sufficient, very capable and fine for a daily driver too. :bowdown: Im jealous!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM #15

UPDATE.....WOOOO!!!

Alright this is badass. I just got back from progressive with a check for 1123.82. Now I am DEFINITELY getting the ARB that runner up has. I want to order this bumper right this second. I have a few questions.

1) The 'buy it now' ebay bumper has expired. Where else can I order one?

2) After I get the bumper are there any additional parts I need to buy to convert from the one I have now to the ARB?

3) What tools will I need to self install, and better yet, is there a writeup?

edit: Also, does anyone know a weight comparison between the bumper I have and the ARB?

Thanks for the help guys! Wooohoooo!